About Prashar Lake

Prashar Lake is famous for its pristine blue water and is situated along the Dhauladhar ranges of Kullu. Prashar also known as Parashar Lake is approximately 50km from Mandi District in Himachal Pradesh. The surface elevation or height of Prashar Lake is 2730m and exactly how deep Prashar Lake is still unknown. This destination is popular among tourists and locals too.

Other than the pure and charismatic beauty, Prashar Lake is famous for its 3 storied pagoda temple which is situated on the bank of the lake. This lake is considered sacred or holy lake and locals from the Mandi District visit this place throughout the year. If want to admire the green lush scenery, then you should visit this place during the summer but if you are a fan of white beauty and want to roll over the thick sheet of snow, then you must visit this place in winter.

Pagoda Temple

  • The three-storied Pagoda temple is dedicated to the sage Parashara. It is believed that this place holds the history of the ancient saints who used to meditate here for a long period of time.
  • Bansen, the king of Mandi District built this temple in the early 13th century in the ancient Pagoda style.
  • It is also believed that the local temple of Prashar Rishi is constituted of the Deodar tree.
  • Also, the famous captivating Himachali structure and beautifully carved roofs of the temple blends completely with the landscape.

Floating Island

  • There is a tiny floating island or also famous as Phumdi Island on the lake.
  • This is a small green-colored patch inside the lake which is floating throughout the year.
  • This floating part of vegetation keeps on changing its position but very slowly.
  • This Phumdi Island touches one side of the lake in summer and then keeps on floating and touches the other side by winter.
  • This floating land covers the 7% part while the rest 93% is water.
Prashar Lake trek in Mandi

More Information

  • After the famous Mahabharat war, Pandavas were finding a place for their deity when they encounter this place with Lord Kamrunag.
  • It is said that they were mesmerized and amazed by the beauty of this place.
  • Lord Kamrunag decided to stay here forever.
  • Bhima, the strongest brother of Pandavas, pushes the mountain with his elbow and created a dent on the land which became the Prashar Lake.

This whole, the tiny lake, tall Dhauladhar trees, beautifully sculptured temple, and snow-covered mountains offer a spell bounding natural beauty. Prashar Lake looks like a blue emerald surrounded by huge mountains. This is a famous spot for capturing panoramic views of photographers.

The weather here ranges from -5 degrees to 23 degrees throughout the year but you cannot predict the weather. You can experience the unpredictable rain here. In winter, this area gets completely cut off due to heavy snowfall usually in January and February. This area is pollution-free, less populated, and most importantly untouched by our modern luxuries which makes it more captivating. So, this is one of the must-visit places in Himachal Pradesh, and checklist this on your travel list now.

At a Glance

  • 31°30′N 78°11′E
  • China, India
  • Himachal Pradesh
  • Mandi